Come Up & See Mae on August 17, 2006
Plans Are Afoot in Manhattan for this Annual "Roaring 20s Theme" Birthday Gala
- - - For Immediate Release - - -
(I-Newswire) - New York, NY: "Too much of a good thing," said Mae West, "can be wonderful." Yes, a spectacular Mae West Birthday Gala did take place in a former speakeasy on East 54th Street last year during August  and the party was co-hosted by TV broadcast legend Joe Franklin.
• • But once is not enough. The organizers have already started planning for a second Gala, which will take place on Thursday evening 17 August 2006 in Manhattan.
• • Certain camera-ready elements from the first Gala will return:
• • • • a Roaring 20s theme;
• • • • a speakeasy setting in Manhattan;
• • • • strolling cigarette girls;
• • • • Mae West look-alikes;
• • • • Charleston dancing;
• • • • Prohibition Era entertainment;
• • • • lots of fun, food, prizes, and bathtub gin.
• • Last year's sponsors and participants included the Brooklyn Boro President Marty Markowitz, Dewar's 12-year-old Scotch, Hendrick's Gin, Izze, Nat Sherman, Thompson Candy, Comfy Carbs, Gaslight Limousines, and others. In 2005, VIP guests took home lots of goodies such as a signed limited edition of Mae West commissioned from theatre artist Sam Norkin [valued at $500].
• • The annual Mae West Birthday Gala was inspired by the play "COURTING MAE WEST" -- based on true events during the 1920s when Broadway actress Mae West was arrested and jailed for obscenity. Playwright LindaAnn Loschiavo wanted to find a way to make younger generations aware of Mae West and to benefit charities that Mae used to support, for example, the Actors Fund.
• • "Though Mae West was a very generous woman and left a third of her estate to the Actors Fund, this organization has never seen a penny," said Loschiavo. According to this writer, the August 17th birthday party is a way to carry out Mae's wishes - - while offering "too much of a good thing" to New Yorkers. Tickets will be available through PayPal.
• • Photographs on this web site - - http://MaeWest.blogspot.com - - show last August's Birthday Gala.
• • Sponsorship and media inquiries welcome.
Courting Mae West, LLC
Become an INVESTOR or a SPONSOR: Phone: 212-614-9683
____________ details to come ______________
Courting Mae West
• • Photo • Mae West to come