Courting Mae West - Onstage
• • The event's board of directors met and approved my director's pitch — — and my play "COURTING MAE WEST" has cleared the first hurdle to be onstage during their annual early July festival in a theatre in Manhattan.
• • The festival offers over 30 live acts. Mine is one of the two plays they will produce. My 95-minute serious-minded comedy will be shown FOUR times onstage [in a theatre with fewer than 99 seats].
• • After the 9 February 1927 performance of "SEX," Mae was hauled off to Jefferson Market Police Court on Sixth Avenue and Greenwich, where she spent the night locked up with streetwalkers and drug addicts.
• • "Courting Mae West" is based on true events during 1926-1932 when Mae West was arrested and jailed for trying to stage two gay plays on Broadway.
• • Details and ticket prices will be posted when available.
• • Get ready to come up and see Mae onstage during July 2008.
Courting Mae West
• • Illustration: Mae West • • artist Michael DiMotta • •